Broccoli seedlings after pricking out. I did a French Intensive layout in one fresh tray (the one used for the squashes), and also in the tray I sprouted these in. I didn’t re-sterilize the soil, and the potting soil I prepared three weeks ago has grown some mold, but I decided I didn’t care and planted the seedlings there anyway. For some reason I can’t remember (maybe because I didn’t have enough soil), the first seedling flat only had about two inches of soil, so the roots had about bottomed out. I also had neglected to water the trays quite frequently enough, but most of the seedlings were still strong and healthy. As I did with the basils, I pricked out the largest and most healthiest seedlings first, an made my way through their ranks. I had a few with only one small true leaf by the end, but also enough large ones that I think it wasn’t too soon to plant. I’m thinking about whether or not I should have put them into newspaper tubes rather than back in the tray, but I decided to try the tray this time and see how it goes. I ended up with two trays by the time I was done. One is on the heat pad level and one is on the top level; we’ll see if that seems to make a difference.